We use a variety of styles of music in our worship.
The acoustic qualities of our Sanctuary are particularly good for music, and they enhance our singing making it enjoyable to listen to and to join in.
At some services an electronic keyboard is used to accompany hymns and songs. Although we have no regular choir, the church membership includes many people who join together as a choir for particular services, and we also have a number of people who are able to play instruments to contribute to our worship.
Recorded music is used from time to time both for listening and to accompany singing.
Musical concerts are given by our own members and visiting groups.
We have a fine three-manual pipe organ with a history reaching back to Victorian times.
The Choir manual with its woodwind registers, the Swell, and the Great with all its traditional rich sounds, plus its wide variety of stops with pre-set piston controls, make for a very rewarding instrument to play and accompany choral singing.
The organ has quite a history. In 1871 it was built by Bevington for £350, hand-pumped, and was installed in the large gallery of the Congregational Church of the time. In 1915 it was enlarged by Kingsgate Davidson and moved to where the main part of the organ now stands. A two-manual console was incorporated and an electric blower installed. Further improvements were made by Morgan and Smith of Hove in 1960/1 and these included the installation of a three manual console. The National Pipe Organ Register carries a more detailed description of this instrument.
When the church was refurbished in 1976/7, the organ was divided between the two sites it occupies today. The main organ (Swell, Great and Pedal divisions) is in the main case and the Choir organ and one Pedal rank of pipes on the opposite side of the Sanctuary. The re-organised instrument was 'reopened' on 1 July 1977.
This was a revelation in sound! The removal of the large gallery, heavy carpets and raked wooden floor left a space with a resonant acoustic which makes the Sanctuary now a delightful venue for choral, instrumental and organ music.
Since 2005 the organ has been tuned and maintained by F H Browne of Canterbury.
For enquiries about music and musical events contact Tony Wenman (Organist).